Friday, October 16, 2009

Souper Hit


Thursday nights are Home Fellowship nights for our church. We have small groups that meet at different homes each week. Last night was our turn and we had about thirteen people here. I made peanut butter cookies and brownies to serve, but I left the pot of soup that we had just eaten for dinner on the stove. By the time everyone had left, the soup was gone. Everyone wanted just a little and then went back for seconds. Guess we are not having leftovers tonight! I just love when people devour whatever I make. It makes me feel like a great cook. Especially when it's teens and picky eaters. My daughter's twelve year old friend asked for the recipe for her mom. I thought I would share it here. This recipe comes from my mom's best friend, Wendy. She also makes a wonderful spicy minestone soup that I might share later.

The name really doesn't do justice to the soup. Lots of flavor and fill.

Hamburger Soup

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. diced onion
1 c. cubed, raw potatoes
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 c. shredded cabbage
1/2 c. diced celery
1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes
6 c. water
1/4 c. pearl barley or rice
1 small bay leaf
1/2 tsp. each thyme, rosemary, and basil
4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Brown beef and onion. Drain. Add vegetables and water.
Bring to a boil. Sprinkle in barley and remaining
ingredients. Stir to blend. Simmer gently for one hour,
stirring occasionally.

Most often, I double the beef, barley and some of the veggies.
I usually add another cup or two of water for extra barley. This
will make a large pot of soup, but obviously not enough for visitors
and leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment