Friday, October 16, 2009

Apples Galore


We live in apple country where mysterious bags of apples end up on your doorstep or in your car. Friends, neighbors or mere aquaintances believe they are doing you a favor by giving you of their abundance. Last week, my husband brought home two huge bags full of apples. A customer had stopped by to bless him. I've been avoiding them as long as possible, but today I decided to make apple butter. I thought I would use up a whole bag, but the apples were so big that it only took seven apples to make a huge batch. I'm not a true apple-butter lover, but this was really yummy on toast. I know my husband will eat lots of it and maybe I can get my parents to take a couple of jars. I still have another bag of apples to use up, so there may be a pie or two in the near future. The horses will love me if hand a few over to them.



This very simple recipe is from my great aunt.

Aunt Margie's Apple Butter
16 c. apples, peeled, cored and sliced
8 c. sugar
1 c. vinegar
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. nutmeg
3 tsp. cinnamon

Cook until done. Yes, that is all she says!
I boiled and then simmer, stirring ocassionally,
for a couple of hours, until thick like jelly.
You can freeze or can this.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment