Monday, September 9, 2013

Chopped Veggies to Stew

 
Take out 16 frozen Rhodes dinner roll dough balls and set them on a cookie sheet (or a cake pan lid will work too!) These need to thaw and rise for a couple of hours. We'll get to those soon.
 
 
 
I sent my daughter to the garden to dig up some carrots and she came back with some monster carrots. I knew I should have pulled them up a week or two ago. They really are a pretty orange though. 
 
I did get the onions diced up real nice, but my picture turned out to be a video. I haven't learned to use my son's camera right and I keep getting one-second videos. I must be pushing the wrong button. You don't really want to see diced onions anyway.



Beside the carrots, I minced the garlic, chopped the celery and green peppers. Then, I did some more homework!


 After your dough balls are nice and puffy, you can make the filling for the Calzones.  Sauté a diced onion in butter, add the Jimmy Dean sausage and browned it up nicely. Then, season it with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.

Next, mix together a tub of ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1-1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, 2 eggs and some salt and pepper. Add a couple of tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley and mix it together.  Now, roll out each dough balls on a floured surface and put a couple of spoonfuls of the mix on each. Fold the dough over the mixture and pinch the sides together. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze overnight. You can throw them in a zip-top bag in the morning. They're ready to be baked for lunch some busy day.


My last four adventures of the day included making the Sloppy Joes, Chili, Sour Cream Noodle Bake and shredding the DP Pork that I started this morning.

I'll share more about that tomorrow, but right now I'm going to fall into bed after fifteen hours of cooking, freezing and accounting homework.

Tomorrow is a new day with new challenges! Things like Beef Stew, Chicken Pot Pie, Cowboy Chicken Casserole, Spaghetti Sauce, and lots of muffins.


Oh, and by the way, we ended up eating Sloppy Joes for dinner. They were really good. The kids loved them and my son didn't even add Tabasco to his Joe. They had just enough kick to be spicy, but not enough to burn. Just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment